|Want to be an editor? Request an account by joining the Mizuumi Discord and follow the instructions in the welcome message.|
Phantom Breaker: Omnia/System
The Burst meter increases with certain movement options, attacks connecting, defending attacks, taking damage, and clashing. It can be filled up to 200% (in Quick and Hard Style) or 400% (in Extra Style). The Burst meter will gradually increase on its own when the Life Bar falls below a certain point or when Tension mode is activated; in these situations, the meter only fills up to 100% (Quick, Hard) or 200% (Extra).
The Burst meter is disabled during Overheat, where the player can't build any Burst meter or use Burst mechanics (EX-Specials). Action that causes overheat include:
- Set Burst
- Phantom Breaker
- Emergency Mode
Bear in mind that the duration of Overheat varies between which mechanics are used, the chosen style, and the amount of Burst meter stored. When Overheat is finished, the Burst meter will reset to zero. The exception to this is Extra Style's Overdrive.
The Tension meter is a shared resource between both players. The meter adjusts attack damage accordingly to the current Tension meter value. Essentially, the more Tension builds during matches, the more damage output increases. Tension increases with dashing (3 times), Guard Crashes, counterbalancing, and nullifying attacks. If the Tension meter is filled to max, a special mode activates wherein both players' Burst meters regenerate on their own and their damage output becomes significantly higher. Tension Mode lasts for about 5 seconds and then resets the Tension meter. Each time the Tension meter resets, roughly 10% of the meter is left over. Tension Mode does not carry over rounds, and Set Burst can end Tension Mode prematurely.
The Life Bar is pretty similar to other fighting games. As players take damage, it begins to deplete. A red tail can be seen once the life bar has taken damage - this red tail is recoverable life. It'll recover slowly over time but players can use Overdrive to speed up the process. If players experience a Guard Crash, then all recoverable life is lost. While chip damage is present in this game, a player cannot be KO'd from chip damage.
The Guard Gauge is mostly invisible until the character guards an attack - while guarding, a force field will appear around the defending character, indicating the gauge's current state. The force field is mostly transparent with a white edge when the Guard Gauge is healthy and will slowly turn more red and opaque as it takes damage. When the Guard Gauge is at its weakest, a Warning message will appear at a corner of the screen, signaling that the next attack will Guard Crush. These actions will weaken the guard gauge:
- Guarding an attack
- Guard Canceling
- Nullifying Attack
- Attacks being Reflected
Each Style has different base Guard Gauge values, with Extra having the most and Quick having the least.
PBO has an auto-guard mechanic in place, where if the players remain neutral, they'll guard any mid- and overhead attacks. In order to guard low attacks, players have to crouch. Players can still guard manually with back and down-back directions like other traditional fighters. This auto-guard feature is disabled when a character has their back turned, which then requires manual blocking inputs. If players guard an attack after a Warning signal has appeared, they'll experience a Guard Crash.
A Guard Crash leaves players vulnerable for a set amount of time before control is regained and an aerial Guard Crash results in a hard knockdown. The only option to escape the vulnerable state of Guard Crash is Emergency Mode.
Similar to guarding, air guarding can be performed by pressing any direction other than 6 during a jump. Air guard is susceptible to low attacks, 2L+SP, EX Specials and Phantom Breakers. Furthermore, attacks that hit right under the character cannot be air guarded. Air guard stun appears to be universal (still testing) and doesn’t last very long. However, damage done to the Guard Gauge is doubled while air guarding.
Guard canceling allows players to cancel their guard stun animation. Guard canceling gives players some invincibility frames upon activation. Player can cancel out of guard stun with:
- Counter Burst
- EX Special
- Phantom Breaker
- Hi-jump/dashes (Quick/Extra)
- Guard canceling will weaken the Guard Gauge and certain attacks limit the ability to guard cancel (I.E., Kurisu's Ex-Flame Thrower special does 9 hits of guard stun and can only be guard canceled after the 9th hit).
An alternate guarding technique that can potentially mitigate the drawbacks of guarding. To Nullify Attack, Players must press 6 as the attack connects. you can Nullify attack while Neutral or guarding. Special properties of Nullify Attacks include (but are not limited to):
- Decreasing Guard Gauge damage
- Negating chip damage
- Reducing guard stun significantly.
- Increasing Tension meter by 0.25
- Increase Burst Meter by 5%
After a successful Nullify Attack players have the option to cancel into any action other than Overdrive. There are two types of Nullify Attack, Slip-shift Dodge(Quick) and Protection(Hard).
- Slip-shift Dodge is Quick’s Nullify Attack. The character using it will perform a sway and dodge the opponent's attack. Additionally, Slip-shift's slowdown mechanic will be active and the user able to cancels the recovery frames of the dodge. Activating slip-sift will still reduce the gaud gauge even though the game registers the opponent attack as whiffed. However since Slip-shift Dodge is not an actual guard, guard crash is impossible even when the guard gauge has depleted. Slip-shift is an effect against projectile but weak against Physical attacks.
- Slip-shift dodge is only Possible grounded.
- Certain attack disable Slip-shift dodge as a guard cancel.
- Protection is Hard’s Nullify Attack. The user performs a guard animation that highlighted blue on successful activation, it's also accompanied by a slight time freeze. Protection negates any push block and if used in the air, the user retains their air momentum. While the user can act out of Protection the frame advantage is very minimal and the opponent can still cancel their attack too. Protection is very effective against physical attack but weak against projectiles.
- Protection can be used to negate AUB or Set/Critical Burst.
Any attack that makes contact on a character in the air will leave said vulnerable to juggles. A button icon will appear above the vulnerable player's burst meter, signaling that air recovery is possible. Performing an air recovery will have characters glow green and be immune to any further attacks until they land on their feet. It’s possible to cancel air recovery frames before landing, but doing so ends the invincibility. A character that falls to the ground without air recovery will do instant recovery automatically.’’
- Note that air stun is much shorter when characters are cornered. Thus it’s possible to air recover faster than usual.
In the event that air recovery isn’t possible, due to attacks causing soft knockdown or blowback attacks, players can only use instant recovery, which is identical to air recovery but near the ground.
- Both air and instant recovery treat characters as airborne and possess landing recovery, which is throw punishable.
Hard knockdowns disable air and instant recovery and force characters to the ground; to avoid further damage, player can use Get-up or tech roll. Get-up has characters rise to one knee, while tech roll has characters sliding away from their opponents. During a knock down, opponents can attempt to hit the defending character OTG, which will result in a counter hit. Furthermore, certain OTGs can force instant recovery instead of Get-up/tech roll.
- Get-up and tech roll are susceptible to OTG, but the player can throw tech as long they were not crossed up. Unlike the other recovery, this does not auto-correct.
Emergency is a recovery option out of hitstun or Guard Crash that uses the Burst meter. Players can use Emergency Mode by pressing SP while having at least 100% or more of the Burst meter. Characters will have a golden circle as they cancel out their stun. Their are two types of Emergency Mode activation:
- Offensive Emergency mode is an unblockable attack that causes soft KND.
- Defensive Emergency is a temporary power up. (*)activates if Emergency Mode attack whiffs
Ground activation vs Air activation
- Ground has a faster recovery with the potential for combos, Air has a longer recovery with invincibility frames.
Whenever two opposing action connects, a clash will occur. During a clash, both players will gain Burst and Tension meter, while also having their attacks cancel each other out. Both players can cancel clashs into any action afterwards.
- Forward dashes have clash frames
When players have 100%, they can activate Overdrive. Overdrive is a versatile tool with many offensive and defensive applications. Overdrive Startup activation provides invincibility and time freeze, similar to UNIST's Chain Shift. Once activated, players will enter a power-up state that regenerates red life faster and all attacks are considered special attacks, giving them properties such as chip damage or the ability to OTG relaunch. The duration of Overdrive is based on the current value of the Burst meter upon activation. Overdrive gives players:
- Invincibility on startup
- Faster red life recovery
- All attacks are consider special attacks
- Can be cancel into, as a pseudo-Roman Cancel
- can be cancel into from select recovery options (I.E. landing recovery)
Furthermore, Overdrive will have certain features base on the style chosen.
- Overclock is Quick’s Overdrive, which drastically slows down on-screen action for everything but the user character. Additionally, Overclock allows the user to cancel any option into anything else, essentially acting like Street Fighter’s various Custom Combo systems.
- Solid Amour is Hard’s Overdrive and grants the user limited resistance against successful enemy attacks by preventing any hit stun. This state also dramatically increase damage output for the user.
- Hybrid is Extra’s Overdrive, which has the same properties of Overclock and Solid Amour, but to a lesser degree. On top of that, it will switch the current style the user was in. Unlike other overdrives, Hybrid doesn’t deplete the entire burst meter and only uses 100% stock.
The trade-off for such a strong tool is that the user cannot guard during Overdrive and being grabbed or teching grabs will end Overdrive immediately.
An attack that carries clash frames on its start up. If Players hold the SP button, the counter burst attack will be delayed, prolonging its clash frames. Using Counter Burst will consume 25% of the Burst meter, although players can still use it if they don’t meet the 25% requirement. Counter Burst can be canceled into from any action other than Overdrive, EX Specials and Phantom Breakers. Counter Bursts obtain certain features from Styles:
Quick’s Counter Burst has little start up, making it practically the fastest attack in game. Players can also use Slip-shift to cancel out of the Counter Burst attack by dashing or using hi-jump. This cancel will require 50% Burst meter on top of the initial 25% from Counter Burst.
Hard’s Counter Burst has longer start up but also has mid guard points on top the clash frames for durability. Charging the Counter Burst will build a portion of the Tension gauge, with a full charge building 10% of Tension. A full charge Counter Burst also becomes a Set Burst, which is an unblockable attack that causes blowback on hit. In Tension Mode, Set Burst becomes Critical Burst, which is dramatically stronger.
Extra’s Counter Burst is identical to the current style's Counter Burst. However Extra’s Counter Burst has a unique clash called Reflection. Reflection has two properties:
- Reflection vs Normal attacks: opponents are stunned for a short period and their Guard Gauge is weakened (Guard Crash is possible)
- Reflection vs Special: opponents will slow down in their attack animations and lose any momentum their attacks had
While Counter Burst is a powerful tool, it loses against low attacks and anti-clash attacks.
- (Refection can be used against low attacks)
Normal attack in fighting games are the most used tool in most game and PBO is no exception. Normal attacks are always available and are often the primary supplement to a player's strategy, whether it be defensive or offensive. Today we're going take a look at how Phantom Breaker's normal attacks work.
Normal Attacks in PBO function like most other fighters, but PBO also has the Chain system, where pressing the same button results in a sequence of attacks. These unique attacks differ from each other and can only be done by performing the attack chains.
- Attacks chains up to three times
- Attack chain can only be done from standing (*) exception light normals
- Chains do not auto-correct
- Can be done on whiff
Normal attacks have varying properties depending on the strength of the button used
- Certain normals have jump cancel properties on hit but not on block.
- Light and Medium can be canceled into Heavy normals
- Crouching normal are AuB
Light normals are the quickest attack in the category, they're short range and do small damage but their speed makes them strong pressure tools with minimal risk
- Crouching Light can start Light attack chains
- Air light normals have active frames up until the end of the jumping animation. (*) Exception: Sophia, Ende,
- Guarding against light attacks does reward any meter for the defender.
Medium normals are balanced between light and heavy. They have average range, speed and damage. Notably, Medium chains have a lot of mix-up potential.
- Medium chains usually have overheads or low attack in their chains (exception: Ende, Itsuki)
- 6B are universal overhead attacks (*)Exception: Ende, Ren
Heavy normal do considerable damage and are easy to combo from. Most Heavy Normal also cover a huge part of the screen, but in turn, they are very slow
- 6C is a universal long range normal (*) Exception: Fin, Shizuka
- 2C causes hard knockdown (*)Exception: Sophia, Ende, Reimi)
Dashing normals are unique, as they operate more like special attacks, which means they chip just like specials, can be canceled into from normals, ect. But one of their defining traits is that players can jump cancel them on hit, making them ideal for juggles.
- Longest dash length
- Double Jump
- Slip-shift cancel: Can use Dash, Back Dash, and High jump from Guard or Counter Burst
- 1.5 Burst meter modifier: Quick style gains additional Burst meter from standard actions.
- 1.5x Guard Gauge damage modifier: Opponent's Guard Gauge will take additional damage from Quick Style characters.
- Expanded chain cancel system: can cancel certain chain strings into other strings or additional normals that would otherwise be impossible.
- (*) Example A>A>A>B>B>B>C>C>C>6C.
- Can air backdash Dash as Guard cancel
- Direction Influence after a double jump
- Defensive Emergency Mode causes a slow down effect
- Average damage output
- Fastest Counter Burst startup
- Weakest guard meter value
- Certain attack lock out Quick’s guard cancel option and Slip-shift Dodge (Nullify attack)
- Slow tension bonus recharge rate:
- Longest Overheat state from Overdrive and Phantom Breaker
- Shortest Overdrive state
- 2C will not cause hard knockdown on a crouching opponent
- Defensive Emergency Mode state: user is not susceptible to Guard Crash, regardless of their Guard Gauge value
- Overdrive state stall: Quick’s Overdrive will extend Hard’s Overdrive due to its slow down effect.
- Moderate Guard Gauge
- Moderate Tension bonus (regenerating burst meter)
- Can perform Protection (Nullify attack) in the Air.
- Counter Burst guard point is not susceptible to Guard Crash
- Set Burst on hit prematurely ends Tension Mode and resets Tension value.
- Counter Burst has a slower startup
- Restricted Chain system: A>C, B>C,
- Lowest Burst gauge modifier
- No double jump or back air dash.
- Solid Armor (Over-Drive) loses properties when user is airborne.
- Burst gauge stacks to 400%
- Shortest Overheat state
- Highest Guard Gauge value
- Hybride (Over-Drive) enable the ability to switch between Quick and Hard Style.
- Highest Tension Mode bonus: will restore 200% in Tension Mode.
- Reflection: Unique clash frames that will either stun or slow down opponents.
- Overdrive has a set cost of 100%
- Has moderate movement speed
- Moderate Burst gauge modifier.
- Retain double jump regardless of Style
- Retain Slip-shift guard cancel regardless of Style
- Slip-shift cancels cost 75% of burst gauge.
- When Style changing Hard > Quick style, Slip-shift cancel is possible during the Overdrive and Overheat phases.
- No Phantom Breaker
- Drastically low HP and damage output.