Super Smash Bros. Crusade/Items
An item is an object that either randomly appears on-stage during a match or is summoned by a character's special move, that can be picked up and used by characters. Many items can be wielded once picked up, while others apply an effect, and almost all can be thrown at opponents. Items are a large part of the gameplay of the Super Smash Bros. series, but problems with randomness and inconsistent risk/reward balance results in tournament rulesets universally requiring that random spawning of items be disabled using the Item Switch before starting the match.
Types of items
Items can be grouped into several categories based on their effects.
- Container items release other items once broken open, which can be done either by attacking them or by picking up and throwing them.
- Battering items are wielded by characters once picked up, turning their neutral attack, forward tilt, dash attack, and forward smash into an item swipe.
- Shooting items fire projectiles when used, typically replacing the neutral attack and neutral aerial of the user. They all have limited ammunition and will merely shoot blanks once it runs out. In SSB4 and Ultimate, trying to shoot an empty item will instead simply throw it.
- Throwing items can only be thrown at opponents. Holding a throwing item means that a character cannot use most of their attacks, as pressing the attack button will simply throw the item.
- Explosive items cause an explosion when activated, then disappear from the field. Most explosive items are also throwing items, but there are exceptions.
- Status items apply some sort of effect to the user, often beneficial but not necessarily. Some status items only need contact to be used (instead of needing to be grabbed). The ones that do need to be grabbed can be picked up even if the character is already holding an item.
- Recovery items decrease the damage of the user (or increase their HP in Stamina mode). Starting in Melee, recovery items can be picked up even when the character is already holding an item.
- Summoning items release an ally that fights alongside whoever activates the item.
- Special items do not fit into the above categories.
In addition to the above, certain items can be heavy, which limits those that pick them up into walking slowly (or not at all in SSB) and throwing. Only Donkey Kong can move quickly or jump while carrying a heavy item.
List of Items
These items are available in the item switch menu. Some items like containers are grouped together, but the player can toggle all of these items on or off.
Item - Type - Heavy - Description - Universe - Game Icon - Cruade Original
|Contains various items, although it might also explode.
|Contains larger amount of items.
|Releases random Pokemon to aid you in battle.
|Restores low amount of %/HP
|Increases your size temporarily
|Decreases your size temporarily
|Makes you invincible
|Changes you into metal form for a limited period
|Smash attack is capable of OH-KOing people.
|Slash people with a beam of energy
|Very quick weapon
|Capable of shooting stars
|Smash the opponents with this powerful hammer
|Shoot green laser bullets at opponents
|A weapon with the capability to shoot in rapid bursts or fire a charged shot
|Allows you to blow your opponent away
|Characters bounce off it, moving it slightly.
|Throw it, jump on it or attack it to put it in motion
|A shell with active homing guidance
|Explosive projectile that may catch you offguard
|A powerful bomb with a blast that covers a large portion of the stage
|Acts like a trap, explodes on contact
|Buries opponents on ground
|Very potent shield-breaker
|Freezes the opponent.
|A box full of explosives. Don't play with fire near it!
|Break it to obtain a shield which will protect you.
|Releases 20%/HP restoring honeycombs.
|Lowers the mobility of your foes.
|Transform into a Bullet Bill to blast off to a chosen direction
|"Kicked" deals damage to opponents
|Gives you a bonus stock/point/500 coins
|Allows you to latch on enemies and grab edges
-Items are cool