Under Night In-Birth/UNICLR/Seth/Strategy
Disclaimer: This is a community written page and may contain opinions that all players may not agree with. Use at your own discretion.
Seth is a speedy glass cannon ninja-archetype character that can be played in many different ways due to his extensive moveset, movement options and tools for handling many situations. He excels in close-range combat, boasting some of the most enviable close-range normals in the game, allowing him to play a rushdown-style strike/throw game very effectively. In order to get into this range, Seth can attempt to take control of neutral by setting up orbs to cover his approach, dashblock to get in with his extremely fast run speed, play for vorpal, or even play a zoning style assisted by his ridiculous air mobility which makes him a headache to catch. This versatility allows him to mold his playstyle to the opponent and character matchup, and allow the player's strengths to shine in the way they fight the opponent. Once Seth gets a hit, he can very quickly turn a confirm into a knockdown and overwhelm an opponents' defenses with a myriad of okizeme and mixup options.
how to play neutral
tools and plans to approach
tools and plans to keep opponent away
how to keep the advantage
Your best normals for staggers/frametraps:
- Smart steer
Note that Seth okizeme is practically endless as you can get very creative and freeform with them. Listed are the most standard and commonly seen/used enders/setups.
- 6C j.236B - fluff
- 6C/j.6C j.623B - fluff
- 6C/j.6C spaced j.236A - fluff
- 6C/j.6C 236A/B - fluff
- 623C tk. j.236B - fluff
- 623C 236A/B - fluff
- Reverse 623C tk. j.236B - fluff
- IW j.236B - fluff
- IW 236A/B - fluff
- 6C 236C - fluff
- [FF] 623C - fluff
As you learn more about Seth and the ways he can be played, you'll start to notice that quite everything could be called a "gimmick". Due to the way Seth is designed and how his toolkit works together, these "gimmicks" can easily become real as when enough are introduced into the equation, it is too difficult to effectively and consistently counter every single one on reaction.
But even then, Seth has gimmicks that can be deemed very questionable in usage, or function exclusively as a knowledge check.
- Corner FF 623A EX Cmd Grab Crossup Reset - fluff
Seth's has decent abare options at close-range, with 2B, 5B and dashblock fuzzy 2A/5A/2B. At mid-range, he has 66C or 5CC to poke out. Seth also has great ways out of the corner through the air, therefore he can exploit openings where he is able to jump.
With vorpal, Seth's defensive options are very strong post-CS as he possesses two 5-frame normals (one of which is a very fast anti-air), a 6-frame 2B, a 7-frame 5B, 3C, frame 1 head invuln 632146B, metered reversals, upback j.214A, rising j.A, coupled with a huge OS repertoire, make him a force to be reckoned with in post-CS situations against a majority of the cast.
Although without a meter-less DP, Seth possesses a solid pair of 100 meter reversal supers that can be hard to deal with for those who are unable to distinguish and punish them appropriately. Backdashing on wakeup can also be used as an effective reversal option that can be hard to cover, as transitioning to the air can let Seth escape very quickly while also threatening retaliation.
- 623C - 100 meter Invincible Horizontal Reversal
- Safe against majority of EX cancels from special moves in response to Seth 623C EX flash as he just passes through them. e.g. Eltnum 421C, Orie 41236C, Hyde 41236C.
- 632146C - 100 meter Short-range Invincible Reversal
- 41236D - 200 meter Invincible Horizontal Reversal
- Standard system mechanic reversals such as Veil Off and IWEX.
Seth has one of the most expansive and powerful OS'ing repertoire in the game. Note that some OSes may be less effective against Mika and Linne as their hurtboxes are too short for rising j.A to hit them standing.
- 1D~A - Universal Crouch Shield Throw OS
- 2A~D - 2A Throw OS
- 3C~AD - 3C Anti-air Throw OS
- 3B~AD - 3B Anti-air Throw OS
- 171D~A Fuzzy Upback Shield Throw OS
- Actionable after shield recovery, e.g. allows you to do falling j.B or j.214A afterwards.
- 172A~D - Fuzzy Upback j.A Throw OS
- Requires j.214A hitconfirm to combo if j.A connects, input dive if you see yourself jump.
- 191D~A - Fuzzy Upforward Shield Throw OS
- Actionable after shield recovery, e.g. allows you to do falling j.B or air backdash afterwards.
- 192A~D - Fuzzy Upforward j.A Throw OS
- Requires j.C or j.2C hitconfirm to combo if j.A connects, input j.C j.B or j.2C j.214A if you see yourself jump.
- 5A~3C~AD - 5A Anti-air Throw OS w/ 3C auto confirm
- 1D~A~D - Universal Shield CS Throw OS
- Vorpal only.
- 2ABC~D~A - Universal VO Throw OS
Use these recordings to lab against Seth's blink pressure and orb okizeme.
Seth Wiki Roadmap
Click here for the UNICLR roadmap.
Page last edited on: 2022-03-20 by Defiant.