|Want to be an editor? Request an account by joining the Mizuumi Discord and follow the instructions in the welcome message.|
Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram/Notation
Commonly used terms
Shorthands used in this guide in the advanced techniques and character sections. Many of these are also used by the japanese community.
General wiki notation
- X/Y means 'X' and or 'Y'
- 'VR' means Virtuaroid(Character)
The following shorthands for inputs and commands are used.
For all control types:
- “Right Weapon” will be referred to as ‘RW’
- Left Weapon = LW
- Center Weapon = CW
- Left Turbo = LT
- Right Turbo = RT
- Input-Pad = Gamepad input method
- Input-TS = Twin-Stick input method
Gamepad input notation
This wiki follows default layouts and names of bindings.
Movement directions match a numpad notation numpad notation where 5 is a neutral position, 6 is to the right, 2 is down and so on.
7 8 9 4 5 6 1 2 3
Twin-Stick input notation
“left stick direction - right stick direction”
where directions of the stick match a numpad notation.
7 8 9 7 8 9 4 5 6 - 4 5 6 1 2 3 1 2 3
eg. “6-6” means both sticks moved to the right. Twin Sticks follow some rules of ‘Tank controls’ for how you move and rotate.
Pad: Jump button (Xbox: Y , PS4: Triangle)
TS: 6-4 (or 9-4, etc.)
Pad: crouch button (Xbox: A , PS4: X)
This input is used for various things: crouching attacks, jump cancels, guarding, input ‘locking’
TS: 8-2 for rotating to the right, 2-8 for rotating to the left. Diagonals also work.
Pad: left rotate & right rotate buttons
Crouching Right Weapon
Right Turbo Right Weapon
Close Combat (Melee)
Overviews of character properties along with general use moveset and advanced techniques.
Each section starts off with a translation of the official description of each character from the VOOT Xbox 360 version homepage. Character traits describe the strengths and weaknesses of each character.
Meaning of symbols on character traits:
- ! = only applies at mid-high level play
- ? = only applies at low-mid level play
Common Attack Descriptions
The common attacks -section for each VR is aimed at to give an idea of the effective moves to use for each character, rather than listing out every single one. These are generally central moves used by all experienced players of the character.
Projectile attacks can be thought of as divided into categories, signified by their purpose and situation where they are useful. These terms are used in the attacks section to give you an idea as to the strengths of each option.
- Movement check: force opponent to move, checking their movement ability
- Punish: for hitting the opponents recovery vector or animation
- Chase: for chasing/pursuing the opponent
- Erasing: for destroying/erasing the opponents attack
- Interruption: for interrupting the opponents neutral or melee attack
- Prediction: aimable attacks for punishing predictable movement
- Armor removal: for removing enemy V-Armor
- Pressure: Long lasting projectiles that force the opponent to move
- Chip: Low damage attacks good for dealing small but safe damage and maintaining a lead.
- High damage: High damage attacks to get a comeback or capitalize further on situation.
- Knockdown: Attack with high knockdown value. For landing knockdowns.
These are a general idea of usage. There are many unlisted use cases and other attacks still have their roles. The timing and optimal range of each attack will have to be learned in practice.
Wiki specific notation
Shorthands used in this wiki for convenience.
RW / LW
RW or LW
Examples of notation
Ground Dash forward - Right Weapon
Various search terms & translations (for replay searching)
Nicknames for the game
- Oratan / オラタン (from Oratorio Tangram)
- チャロン ‘chalon’ : virtual-on
- チャロナー ‘chaloner’ : virtual-on player
- アケタン ‘ake tan’ (VOOT arcade version)
- 箱タン ‘box/hako tan’ (VOOT xbox360 version)
- マピタン ‘mapi tan’ (VOOT PS4/masterpiece version)
List of character names
- Temjin / テムジン
- Fei-Yen / フェイイェン
- Raiden / ライデン
- Cypher / サイファー
- Grys-Vok / グリスボック
- Specineff / スペシネフ
- Bal-Bados / バルシリーズ
- Dordray / ドルドレイ
- Angelan / エンジェラン
- Apharmd B / アファームドBT / バトラー
- Apharmd S / アファームドST / ストライカー
- Apharmd C / アファームドC / コマンダー
- Stein-Vok / シュタインボック
- 10/80 Special / 10／80SP
- Ajim / アジム