|Sega Saturn, PS1, PS2, PS3, X360|
|PS4, XB1, Switch, PC|
Capcom Fighting Collection
|JP Frame Data|
|Match Database (Old)|
Vampire Savior is a 2D fighting game by Capcom. Released in arcades in 1997, it is the third game in the Vampire/Darkstalkers/Night Warriors series.
Vampire Savior is considered to be a very fast paced fighting game that features a strong focus on momentum and rushdown/mixups. The cast is extremely diverse and charismatic with many of the cast having completely different movement types and extremely different normal/special move types. Despite the cast being anything but homogenized, the game is somewhat well balanced (for a Capcom game), where anyone in the cast has a decent chance of winning just about any matchup. If character variety and insanely fast rushdown sounds like your cup of tea, this just might be a game for you.
Here are some innovations of this series compared to its predecessor:
- Normal attacks can be canceled into one another in a chain sequence: punches to kicks and weaker to stronger, either on the ground or in the air.
- Every character has a forward dash and backdash, of varying type.
- Some of the damage recovers if the opponent isn't attacked again.
- No spontaneous dizzies, though some special moves have this effect.
- The action doesn't stop at the end of a round, and the winner doesn't get a life refill.
- Knocked down opponents can be hit by pursuit attacks.
- Knocked down opponents can roll backwards or forwards when getting up off the ground. (Compare Alpha ground techs from SFA.)
- Besides reversals, defenders can pushblock the attacker away and counter with guard cancels. (Compare Alpha Counters from SFA.)
- A pretty much unlimited amount of super meter can be stored and saved between rounds.
- There is no superfreeze, so supers come out with no warning.
- Besides EX super moves, specials can be used in more powerful ES form at the cost of meter.
- Every character has a Dark Force super which causes some kind of power up or play differently for a while.
- Some Dark Forces give mirror image or afterimage doubles to increase attacking power. (Compare Variable Combos from SFA3.)
- Rolling combo counter.
- There's a secret body snatcher character that changes after every fight.